2.04.2008

Best games of my lifetime

I've kept this blog very Bearcat-centric to this point, but tonight's Super Bowl was one of, if not the best, game I've been alive for. It got me thinking - what are the best games I've seen? Obviously, I'm not going to speculate on the best game ever, but just the games that immediately come to my mind (and I'm not going to specifically tag these games with date, score, etc. ... if you know sports, you know what games I'm talking about here):

In no truly particular order --

2008 Super Bowl, with the "new immaculate reception"
2001 World Series game 7, Diamondbacks de-throne Yankees
2003 Fiesta Bowl - Ohio State beats Miami in 2OT
2007 Eastern Conference Championship Game 6 - Lebron James dominates the Pistons
2006 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 - Carolina beats Edmonton
2006 World Cup Final - Italy beats France in PKs
1998 NBA Finals Game 6 - Jordan hits the jumper on Byron Russell
2000 Super Bowl - Titans come up one yard short

I cannot omit the best individual performances I've ever seen as well; immediately coming to mind are numerous Tiger Woods wins in various majors (how about the 2005 Masters?), and the 2002 U.S. Open, when Pete Sampras proved everyone wrong and toppled rival Andre Agassi in four incredible sets.

And in the spirit of the Press & Sun-Bulletin, here's a brief list of the best games I've ever seen locally:

Fall 2004 - Meghan Taylor the hero as BU women's soccer wins Championship
March 2005 - Vermont topples Syracuse in March Madness (that's like, America East local)
Fall 2002 - Chuck Guittilla escapes a major decision to get Huntington wrestling past Islip

I wouldn't quite put them on the list, but as an honorable mention, a couple BU volleyball games come to mind: Sept. 2007 - Binghamton d. UNH in 5 games, and October 2005 - Binghamton d. Maine in 5 games.

- - - - -

I'll have a full recap of yesterday's 71-62 loss to Hartford tomorrow afternoon; I just can't think about basketball right now.

No comments:

 
ping Bearcat Country www.bearcatcountry.blogger.com